A hologram (a noun composed of two Greek words, ‘holos’ meaning ‘all/whole’ and ‘gramma’/’graphein’ meaning ‘writing’), invented in 1947 by Hungarian physicist Dennis Gabor, is a three-dimensional image of an object on a photographic plate obtained by the technique of holography using the interference of two beams of laser light, one diffracted by the object and the other reflected by a mirror.
In the past they have been used since Victorian times to make ghosts visible in three dimensions in theatrical performances.
More recently, they are successfully used in film entertainment (e.g., Star Wars), in security (e.g., credit cards), and in digital art for the purpose of displaying valuable objects that for security reasons are not displayed to the public.
In addition, they are used for surface measurement, microscopy and data storage.
They are also used in health care on sophisticated equipment such as MRI and ultrasound, images that reprocessed by computer transform them from 2D to three-dimensional using holography.
Today, due to the technological innovation of the digital sector and the improvement of images, beyond the entertainment sector continues to be the main field, they are affecting many other areas of Industry 4.0,:
- training workers in production facilities to remote maintenance;
- data storage (e.g., a 3D image is much more detailed than a 2D one);
- the evolution in the security sector with better application solutions in the field of counterfeiting;
- virtual reality;
- weather forecasting.
SOURCES AND IN-DEPTH ANALYSIS
- Meaning: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/hologram ;
- Communication: from the definition of ‘hologram’ to the communication of the future: https://www.insidemarketing.it/ologrammi-e-comunicazione-definizione-futuro/ ;
- Hologram and its applications for Industry 4.0: an overview: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2667345222000141
- Melenchon’s hologram version rally, presidential 2017: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSc-PDCr0fc&ab_channel=askanews ;
- Piero Angela at a meeting in hologram version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IlWpkxAqf4&ab_channel=Key4Biz ;
- Michael Jackson – hologram version in Las Vegas: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5OnW06m0Jk&ab_channel=MJHyugaviral ;
- South Korea Pavilion Expo 2015: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDMZM5-BGPA&ab_channel=ExpoItaly ;
- Kit mail hologram, 2016:
- TV – BBC: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIJcdoj_9xw ;
- Eric Prydz HOLO intro – Tomorrowland 2022: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IaJTt12gTw
IMAGES (in sequential order)